Monday, January 27, 2014

How We Use Peppermint Essential Oil






Moving on with my essential oils series, I'll talk about how we use Peppermint essential oil!


I LOOOOOVE Peppermint

I know I will say this about lots of oils.  Aaaannndd that's because I love essential oils :)

But peppermint was one of the very first oils I used and saw immediate results with it.

I blogged about how to support your immune system with essential oils a few months ago, and that was the first time I had used it.  You can read that post here.

Young Living's Peppermint essential oil is prettttty darn strong.  If you get the stuff anywhere near your eyes, just beware!  The aroma of peppermint close to the eyes can make them sting and water.  If you get ANY of it IN the actual eye, they will water and water and water...and sting.

So.

When using YL Peppermint, please be careful when using it near the eyes!

Their peppermint is so strong because they only use the oil from the first distillation.  

(As they do for the rest of their oils as well)

Alot of other peppermint essential oils that you'll find were bottled after being distilled for sometimes even two or three times!

This is where you get a sweeter, more peppermint candy type of aroma.  The more a plant is distilled, the sweeter the oil will be in many cases.

Young Living's peppermint smells beautiful!  It is a strong minty aroma with a very tiny hint of sweetness, but not candy-like.  

(btw.  If someone tells you that an oil is more pure because it smells sweeter, please don't go by that logic.  Everyone smells different!  Does everyone love the scent of peppermint?  No.  Does everyone love the smell of Ylang Ylang?  No...but I DO!  Testing is what tells you how pure an oil is, not just a quick sniff test.)

  • Peppermint has a long history of being used as a digestive stimulant and can also help curb your appetite!



  • It is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for soothing digestion, it may also restore digestive efficiency.



  • Jean Valnet MD studied peppermint's supportive effect on the liver and respiratory systems. Other scientists have also researched peppermint's role in improving taste and smell when inhaled

  • Dr. William N. Dember of the University of Cincinnati studied peppermint's ability to improve concentration and mental sharpness.


And here are just some ways that I have learned to use peppermint essential oil.

Sinuses!!

I have dealt with pain due to sinus pressure for as long as I can remember.  I have lived on a combination of Motrin, Tylenol, Excedrin, and Sudafed during all major weather changes since the age of about 9.  I've just always had them, and they are the worst when it's raining.  

As I mentioned in one of my earlier oil posts, my constant use of pain relievers led me to having gastritis!  THAT was painful and I had to completely remove all ibuprofen, aspirin, caffeine, and tomato based foods out of my diet for a month in order for my stomach lining to heal....and sadly...it was very hard for me to live without the Excedrin...because of my HEADACHES!

So I LOVE peppermint for my sinus issues.  Anytime I feel sinus pressure, I rub a drop of peppermint into the area....bridge of the nose, forehead, temples, and cheeks (avoid the eyes!)

If I've got a full-on headache, I'll rub it into my neck and shoulders as well.

Awesome thing about essential oils....ya can't really overdose!  So if the pressure remains after 30 minutes or so...REAPPLY!

Also applying to the bottoms of the feet (especially helpful for a little one) can assist this!

Occasional pain due to tension

This is a little bit of a repeat of above...but even if your headache is NOT sinus related, rubbing peppermint into your temples at the first sign of oncoming discomfort can be super helpful before the pain escalates! 

For stress related headaches, I apply Stress Away to the painful area, including the neck and shoulders.  Then I follow with Peppermint.

Another option is first applying PanAway or Deep Relief.  Those might even work on their own, but Peppermint will drive either of them in quicker and intensify the effects of them!

Digestion!

Peppermint can naturally support the digestive system and can help with pretty much any stomach issue you might be having, including occasional heartburn/indigestion. 

Simply inhaling peppermint from the bottle or after rubbing it between your hands can ease nausea.

For any stomach ache due to slow digestion, constipation, or cramps, rub some peppermint directly onto your stomach with a carrier oil!

Put a drop in your GLASS of water for any type of upset stomach!

And don't forget to apply to the feet.  It's a great way to absorb the oils quickly, and applying them to the Vita Flex Points can assist specific areas of the body! 

Supports the Lungs, Sinuses, and Nasal Functions

When you're in some serious need of lung, sinus, or nasal support (ya know....when you have the "crud"), rub some peppermint onto your chest and back with a carrier oil.

You also want to inhale the peppermint by cupping your hands over your mouth and inhaling.  This can really assist healthy lung function!

Make sure to put it in the diffuser as well!

WAKE UP!

Peppermint is energizing!  It can give you a little "pick-me-up" when you can't snap out of a mental fog.

When you need that boost, just put a couple drops in your hands, rub them together and cup them over your face. 

Breath deeply for several breaths...making sure to take big inhales and exhales.

Also, putting a drop under your tongue will heighten your senses for sure!

Diffusing it is a great option in this case as well.

Freshen your Breath!

This is a no-brainer.  If you have bad breath and don't feel like popping a piece of gum in your mouth, just put a drop of peppermint under your tongue.  People will smell your minty breath from a mile away!

Boost your metabolism!

Peppermint has the ability to stimulate your metabolism, especially when combined with lemon essential oil.

You can drop a couple pounds by taking a capsule of Peppermint and Lemon essential oils every morning!  I follow this with a glass of Lemon water.  (watch out...if you've never done this before, stay close to a restroom the first day)

Add for FLAVOR!

I simply love peppermint flavor.  I love it combine with chocolate, whether hot or cold!  I also love mint tea! 

So you can use Peppermint essential oil anytime you might want a mint flavor.

Add a drop to your tea or coffee or hot cocoa!  (If a whole drop is too much, stick a tooth pick into the dropper cap and then swirl it into your drink.  It'll be the perfect amount!)

Add a drop to your tea for a fresh minty taste :)

Add a drop to chocolate candy, brownies, cookies, or other sweet treat you might be whipping up.

Use in DIY products!

Use peppermint in your homemade lotions, creams, or other toiletry products! 

It would make a very invigorating shampoo (go easy, less is more!)

It would be lovely combined with a citrus oil like Orange in a body butter or lotion bar!


How NOT to use Peppermint?

Eye Cream :)

Again.  Please keep Peppermint essential oil AWAY FROM YOUR EYES!

All recommendations here are for Young Living Essential Oils ONLY!  If you'd like to know more about them, make sure to check out my other blog posts or comment below and I'd love to share :)

Other posts in this series:
A Day with Essential Oils
How we use Thieves Essential Oil
How we use Lemon Essential Oil 
How we use PanAway Esential Oil 
How we use Purification Essential Oil  

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or medical professional.  I simply make decisions on how to care for and improve the health of my own family.  None of the statements on my blog have been evaluated by the FDA and any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Best Web Hosting